Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 5 in Costaaa :)

So my spirits are still very high. I am still enjoying my trip, however what Dr. Powell was saying is very true about being home sick. I don't really talk to any of my family other than my roomates and Ashley and her entire family. I miss Bella quite a bit I'm so used to having her by my side all the time. I am extremley glad I have this experience. Nothing like this will ever happen again. Out of body. Last night, it was def. interesting trying to get home. Since there are no addresses written you had to read the map and remember somewhat where you lived. I got home alright, obviously but I wonder how people function here without addresses? OR without mail getting delievered to their houses? Just thing that I am so accostomed to in the U.S.
I am also coming to the conclusion that I am not sure I could teach here, maybe I could but I feel like it's so very far and so small. Given the opportunity I would love to experience it and I've found that you could be a little less gaurded but today as we went to the bank I was dealing my money outside the bank and a woman came up to me and spoke to me in spanish warning me. I didn't understand everything but what I got was that I should not be dealing my money out in the public eye because it was very dangeous, and as Javier and Dr. Powell has told us that Costa Rica is a povidence and a country of opportunity crime. Very different from the United States where we do not take our own security into our hands, we allow the law to take care of it, here they take it upon themselfs to defend their houses and children and vaulables.

Last night I didn't get to spend very much time with my family I was so tired and I kind of retracted to my room fairly fast. Tonight however I spoke to the younger girls, both of them. I had already spoken to the youngest who I really enjoyed and the other girl seemed more stuck up but I was trying to keep an open mind and today we spoke about the animals which was a great topic. She was telling me "felix" the dog was so sweet but very dumb and it's very funny because my dog at home is the exact same way. She described Felix as tonto. which means dumb.  I decided to write the family a note of thanks (that's how you would say it in spanish) but I did it tonight because Friday I am going to stay with Amber at her house because her mama Tika is taking her dannncing and she is going to ask if it's okay if I come! I have really enjoyed this family I feel very welcomed and she's made sure that anything I need I have. It's so interesting to me how impoverished Costa Rica is. I love learning about it and the culture in general.

Our teacher (our professora) es Henry. El es fabulouso! I love Henry! He makes everything fun with our class! I have really enjoyed the past two days learning spanish with him, however I think that he was a bit tired today he seemed a little less motivated. I think we really lucked out with him as a teacher. I feel I am def learning a lot of spanish and I am really enjoying and thriving on this experience. I think although my finances are taking a bit of a downturn that it's worth it since I am unable to do volunteer things or get heavily involved with school. Alll for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment